I have pondered this question a time or two in my life. I can be super awkward and love to stay in, but can also let loose and laughter is my BFF. This surely doesn’t classify me as a typical “introverted” person.
The definition of an introvert, thanks to good ole Wikepdedia, is this: Introversion is “the state of or tendency toward being wholly or predominantly concerned with and interested in one’s own mental life.” The more I kept reading on, I kept saying yes, yes, that’s me. But I think over time, the definition of an introvert has gained such a negative stereotype.
Maybe not, people sure do like to be alone and binge watch Netflix these days.
So I’d like to clarify some “misconceptions” of introverts:
1. Just because I am quiet when you meet me does NOT mean I am a bitchy or shy. Once you get to know me, like really get to know me, I am actually the opposite. I can attest to this because at the bottom of my report card in grade school it used to always say “limit you’re talking.” I also open up rather fast and will talk about almost any issue that concerns life.
2. I don’t have a million friends, I strongly believe in quality vs. quantity.
3. Doing things by myself recharges me. I would 100% go to a movie or a restaurant by myself. I value my alone time more than the average person. I promise I am not being “antisocial.”
4. On a Friday night, you can probably guarantee I would rather be chilling with some Netflix and beer than out at a loud bar. I also enjoy not having plans every.single.weekend.
5. Networking is my nemesis. Too much small talk and too many awkward situations. Did I mention I’m an Event Planner?? Ironic right.
6. A lot of my hobbies and interests are similar to an 80-year-old lady. Maybe not blogging, but I enjoy writing, reading, musicals and nature.
7. Sometimes people think I can be “too intense.” No need to elaborate on that one.
8. I tend to over analyze and look at the big picture. This could go two ways; 1. obsessing about something until its either fixed or complete OR 2. obsessing about the big picture aspects in life. Maybe this is just a female characteristic.
9. Introverts are only friends/associated with introverts. FALSE. I am pretty sure I am dating an extrovert [most of the time] and was birthed by an extrovert.
Are you an introvert or an extrovert?